The Osun State Government has announced plans to challenge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in court following the restriction placed on one of the state’s bank accounts.
Governor Ademola Adeleke said the state’s legal team had been directed to approach the Federal High Court in Osogbo to contest the action. He maintained that the restriction was imposed without proper judicial authorisation and could disrupt government operations.
The affected account, domiciled with First Bank, was reportedly placed under a Post No Debit restriction, preventing withdrawals and outgoing transactions. The account is said to support official financial obligations, including payments connected to government operations.

Adeleke described the development as an infringement on the constitutional rights of the state government. He called on the EFCC to disclose the legal basis for its action and provide details of the investigation that prompted the restriction.
The governor also alleged that the timing of the action, shortly before the August 15 governorship election, raised concerns about possible political interference. This allegation has not been independently established.
The EFCC has, however, confirmed restricting the account. According to the commission, the action followed an ongoing investigation into the alleged handling of Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee amounting to about N11 billion.
The anti-graft agency said investigators noticed substantial transfers from state government accounts to several corporate entities and imposed the restriction to prevent further movement of the funds while investigations continued.
The commission denied acting for political reasons, stating that its intervention was part of its responsibility to protect public funds. It also disclosed that some Osun State officials, including the Accountant-General, had been questioned in connection with the investigation.
Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, disputed the legality of the restriction and said the court would be asked to determine whether the EFCC followed the required legal process.
No court has made a final determination on the allegations or the legality of the account restriction. The investigation remains ongoing, and no finding of wrongdoing has been made against the state government or any official mentioned in connection with the matter.



